This was a particularly trying year. I can’t say that it was all bad but there were definitely some very deep valleys to go along with the peaks. I am thankful that I was here for the turmoil and the triumphs. I have learned a lot about myself over the last twelve months; some hard truths have come to the light. Through it all, I am grateful to God for seeing me through another year.
1. I have lost 50+ lbs. this year. I haven’t felt this good in a long time. I still have quite a way to go in reaching my ultimate goal but I am well on my way. I’ve learned that being prepared will help to stop you from breaking away from your healthy eating routine.
2. I went to my 20-yr highschool reunion. I can tell you that I was a true gleek. I knew and was friends with lots of people but all of my closest friends were in choir. I learned that nothing makes you feel older than realizing you’ve been out of school for twenty years. Just saying that gave me achy joints.
3. I got to go to my first Seattle Mariners game. We had great seats that were right on the third base line. Also, it was Felix Hernandez bobblehead night. I learned that baseball fans are some of the happiest people on earth.
4. We went to New Orleans for our birthday this year. We had an amazing time, ate some of the most delicious food I ever had and my wife got to show me where she grew up. I can’t wait to go back! I learned that you need comfy walking shoes whether they match your outfits or not.
5. I lost my job. That is a very humbling experience. I learned that you should never get too comfortable. It also taught me that it is alright to feel your feelings but don’t wallow. Regroup and make a plan.
6. I had corneal transplant surgery. Another very humbling experience. You are very dependent for a few days and that can be difficult. I learned that people can be very helpful…if you allow them to.
7. Maya Angelou passed away. A woman who touched a nation. I love to read and hers was the first body of work I experienced as a young girl that was by an author that looked like me. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is the first book I read by her. My favorite quote also came from her. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.”
I learned that living your best life, being true to yourself and kind to your fellow man is a beautiful way to live.
8. We went to see Lalah Hathaway at Dimitrou’s Jazz Alley…for the 2nd time. This time, she was with Ruben Studdard. It was an amazing show.
9. We celebrated our 1-yr wedding anniversary (11 yrs. together). Tomi is truly the mate that was created for me. Loving her is like food to my soul. I’ve learned that love changes; its work. But there is nothing, no situation, that love can’t conquer. We are strong individually but together, we are unstoppable.
10. My baby girl got her first place. She also got engaged. I am overwhelmed with emotions over it all. She’s always been/ will be my baby. Now, I see her as a woman and I am not ready.
All in all, 2014 has been a year of growth. I look forward to 2015 as a year to walk in the power of the lessons I’ve learned. I bid a fond farewell to 2014 and welcome the new year with open arms. Most importantly, I’m choosing to live by choice and make life happen instead of allowing life to happen to me?